Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Flowers delighting our senses

As sweet as a flower is to both view and smell, floral arrangement can also delight our senses in other ways. There is a long list of poets who have used flowers in their works. One of my personal favorites is "Love's forget me not" by Isabella Crawford: WHEN Spring in sunny woodland lay,And gilded buds were sparely setOn oak tree and the thorny may,I gave my love a violet."O Love," she said, and kissed my mouthWith one light, tender maiden kiss,"There are no rich blooms in the southSo fair to me as this!"When Summer reared her haughty crest,We paused beneath the ruddy stars;I placed a rose upon her breast,Plucked from the modest casement bars."O Love," she said, and kissed my mouth--Heart, heart, rememb'rest thou the bliss?--"In east or west, in north or south,I know no rose but this!"When Autumn raised the purple fruitIn clusters to his bearded lips,I laid a heartsease on the luteThat sang beneath her finger-tips."O Love," she said--and fair her eyesSmiled thro' the dusk upon the lea--"No heartsease glows beneath the skiesBut this thou givest me!"When Winter wept at shaking doors,And holly trimmed his ermine vest,And wild winds maddened on the moors,I laid a flower upon her breast."Dear Heart," I whispered to the clay,Which stilly smiled yet answered not,"Bear thou to Heaven itself awayTrue love's Forget-me-not!"

No comments:

Post a Comment